Wednesday, September 23, 2020

My name is Steven Errickson. I am an editor. I also happen to make documentaries.




My work explores how the presence of a camera impacts the relationship between people. 



I don't know much about how cameras work. All I know is that people act differently when a camera is turned on.



This interests me. It makes me wonder how truthful a documentary can be. 



My films represent people as "unique subjects". This is difficult considering that it is impossible to escape what society dictates a "unique subject" to be.



Still, I try my best. 




For context, I was born in Asuncion, Paraguay. I moved to the United States with my father when I was six. I graduated from Lawrence University with a degree in film studies in 2021.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting to think about how a documentary's trueness is brought out by directly altering the footage/evidence. Even eight hours of undisturbed footage of a person talking is questionable to its accuracy, because it is still just one perspective. Really says a lot about the mediums people choose to show the story they want to share, as well as the all of the personal alteration that is needed to make it engaging and honestly informative-- Which is more important, and which is easier?

    ReplyDelete

https://youtu.be/WTXBMHH4BYI